Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Purpose

The holidays have now come and gone and while they are still fresh in the rearview, I decided to start a blog that I would actually keep up with.

Hamlet has been long one of my favorite of Shakespeare's works as I think it is for many. I have to say that the "To be or not to be..." speech is one of the most provocative speeches I have ever read. I know that this may seem old hat to some who are not average, who have studied Hamlet so much they are growing weary, but to most of us it is still full of fascination, especially now.

I learned of myself when I was a senior in high school that I had a gift of writing. This is actually a God-given gift of poetic irony. I fought against writing and any study of language all through my formative years, preferring to accept that I was a math whiz and computer geek. Somewhere after I scored high on my ACTs in English and not so hot in math, and again on my college entrance exams, and then in English 101 and 102, and 100%s on almost every paper I turned in in my first year in college, I finally relented. In the end my degree was a B.A. in English and a minor in Latin with not a single math class to my college career. And this you may judge to be the cause of my current disemployment, the beginning of the landslide.

You would be wrong however.

It costs a person not a dime to write; I need nothing more than a pen and paper, or my old trusty Royal, or my dangerously slow computer. Being hence unemployed I have decided to begin a journey into writing. Perhaps in that writing I can create something that resembles income. Perhaps not. I would be a fool not to try. It is my choice to "suffer / The slings and arrow of outrageous fortune, " or, "to take arms... / And by opposing end them."

So, if you are looking for a little positivity, some relief from the day-to-day doldrums, and perhaps even inspiration, I encourage you to come back often, read my stories, and maybe we can together...
 "...bear the whips and scorns of time,
Th’ oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office, and the spurns

That patient merit of th’ unworthy takes."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your input is appreciated.