Thursday, September 25, 2008

Oooh, The economy

I have always asked the question, whenever the economy started into a downturn, "It won't actually affect me, will it?" That changed today. I am looking at the U.S. economy on the brink of a collapse that has potential to be worse than 1929. This will affect me, I have no choice but to live through it. Pending a $700 billion bailout, the market is almost certain to collapse, leaving me begging for food and bare necessities of life. Perhaps. Perhaps, though, there is a very great value in the situation that the American public is staring into.

Prosperity in a healthy market:
Nicer cars
Nicer houses
More "stuff"
More money
More work
Easier work
More affordable "luxuries"
More expensive (yet affordable) recreation

Prosperity in a depression:
More dependence on a greater being
More dependence on family and friends
Less work
Harder work
Less "stuff"
Fewer luxuries
More reasonable recreation

I have always been told to work hard. In a good economy it is not enough to work hard, you have to work longer, and more. This draws me away from my family and my friends. In a strong economy, I am concerned about getting, and having. In a depression, I am concerned about surviving. We all know from recent studies that a huge part of survival is family and friends. In an economy where I am unconcerned about survival and I have moved on to luxury, I don't have to depend on family and friends and because I don't have to, I don't. Don't get me wrong, I spend lots of time with them, but not as a necessity. If a depression can grow the family unit and friendly relationships, then perhaps there is more value in these economic times then we think.

I own a lot of recreational equipment. I really am hoping that this stuff made for recreation does not become my primary residence. If it does, will I have lost everything? I can honestly say that I will still have the basic necessities of life, and perhaps without a house to care for, I might actually spend more time with my wife. Is that all that bad?

Finally, I believe that it is hard times that reveals a man's character. I can live through good times, but can I hack when times get tough. I have these visions of guys trying to get just a day on the job during the depression. Will that be me? Those times that my grandfather lived through, am I going to go through? When it is all said and done, when the depression is over, will I be the man that I am destined to become? I certainly hope so, but the only way to purify gold is through fire. This is my time in the fire, will I fight it, or will I allow it to grow my character and be the hero that I know I can become.

Maybe this economic crisis is not a crisis at all, but an opportunity to wake up and live according to who we are created to be, rather than living according to what we get. In the end, can we really say that that is living? I don't think so. Will you grab the rope with me, jump into the fire, forsaking all you have and hold onto the faith that says that we will see the other side and it will be better for us having gone through it with grit, than having sat off on the sideline and bemoaned our trials. Carpe diem. Carpe periculum. Carpe vitam. (Sieze the day, sieze the danger, sieze life)

1 comment:

Your input is appreciated.